Sunday, November 7, 2010

It's Not all Fun & Games, Y'know

We've been living in a small town at high altitude for 4 months now. And although I've reported lots of good stuff, I have to admit, there are a few problems:
1. People are very friendly. And they remember your name.
harumph! I would never try to one-up people like that!
2. Every time you go out, you see someone you know.
This is only a problem if you leave the house looking like a shlumpadinka. I don't know anyone who would do that.
3. School starts at 8:10am. My children only get up before 8 on weekends. Go figure.
4. My cupcakes look like deflated breasts after nursing. My cookies look like my current breasts.
Apparently there's a whole art to baking at high altitude, so I will not be opening a bakery any time soon. Not unless pancake cupcakes become a fad. Hmmm.....doesn't sound too bad, actually.
5. People invite you to their home. This is a problem because you have to return the invitation. While we did get the boxes unpacked, I never said anything about the art and pictures stacked all over the house (and not in an artful manner, either).
6. People invite you to their home. Did I mention this already? I must mention it again because I cannot bake anything that resembles anything anyone would want to eat. This makes being a hostess, or a guest, problematic.
7. No Target. Enough said.
8. No Costco. Sorry, my suburban proclivities are showing.
9. People here are extremely fit. How is a girl supposed to feel good about herself when everyone around her looks like they just stepped out of "Outside" magazine? Hope these people thicken up during the winter.
10. Not one of you has threatened to visit. This may be the biggest problem of all. Where are my peeps?????!!!!!

Ok, I know, I've been gone awhile, and I'm sorry. i was getting in the groove of fall and enjoying the weather. (And meeting with contractors for the remodel we are going to embark on, but that's for another post.) But I'm back now and hope to hear from you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I guess your incognito days are over unless you choose to move back to the midwest! Happy New Year to you all.

    I'm sorry I've been so busy with the house & all. Hope you got your Fedex pkg. We just returned from Vail and our little boy is skiing down double black diamond mogul runs! J really improved tremendously on this trip while Juje skiied down the mtn with her group... not too shabby.

    I've never responded to a blog so I hope this gets to you.

    A hug to all!

    PS. Can't wait to see your new hairdo!

    ReplyDelete